Technology helps us in improving our lives, making them simpler, easier, convenient and organized. There isn’t a sector that technology does not impact, directly or indirectly. Even areas like classroom teaching and filing of important documents have incorporated technology in their day to day functioning by means of document scanning and capture.
Organizing of important records and documents is very important and it is equally important to be able to find them quickly whenever the need arises. Before computers were used for filing of documents, hard copies used to be saved for years and years, were often organised alphabetically and put in individual cabinets or compartments. In such a filing system, it was very difficult to quickly find the required documents because the person had to manually go through all the files and as time passed, more and more documents were collected and the records kept on expanding. This not only made for a very time consuming and arduous filing system, it also required a lot of extra space to keep all these files properly and as all the documents were kept in hard copies, a lot of paper was wasted as well. So, it is always better to convert paper documents into digital format.
When the trend of keeping computerized records started, it actually brought a wave of relief to all offices. Digital filing and archiving of data is easy and convenient. By digital, it means on the computer and not the hard copies that used to be filed before. The person was no longer needed to ruffle through hundreds of files to find the one that was needed. They could just enter the file name in the computer system and that file would pop up. Slowly, people started scanning documents as well. With the advent of internet, emailing and pen drives, files are usually received as soft copy. People nowadays scan the hard copies that they receive into digital soft copies in an effort to be more organised and better sorted. All the forms would go in their separate folders and are kept safe and secure.
It is also referred to as document imaging. It is the method by which a digital image of an actual file is taken whereby the paper documents are transformed into digital records that can be looked up on electronic devices. Document imaging solutions help in organizing the company’s official documents. It is carried out by most of the companies offering document scanning services mainly consists of 4 steps: input, identification, storing, retrieval. For scanned documents to come in handy, 2 things need to be done with utmost care: document scanning process i.e., the input needs to be entered and indexed properly, and storage i.e., all such scanned documents need to be safely stored so that they can be retrieved when need be.
When the document imaging system is in place, the company can benefit from the following advantages:
1. Scanning and archiving an office document is always a good idea. It not only keeps the documents safe from any hazards like fire, it also prevents the document from being “lost in the cabinet” and helps a person avoid the unnecessary work of record retrieval.
2. The best thing about scanning including OCR scanning is that all sizes of documents can be scanned without any hitch. it’s become easily searchable; the company’s time is also saved.
3. Scanning is cost effective because the company only invests in a scanner and saves on countless documents being photocopied and mailed.
4. The benefits of digital storage of forms can best be appreciated by Human resources, legal/litigation/ academicians/ insurance accounts and records management teams.
5. Scanned copies of hard documents also act as a backup, ensuring that your files will never be lost. Once the hard copies have been scanned, they can easily be taken off the office building or kept securely in a storage unit. Without an accessible backup of all files, the company runs the risk of losing out on a lot of money as well.
6. Online regular maintenance of records is a very positive change in the system of office filing. If it have been indexed properly in a system, it is next to impossible to lose them. This is one of the benefits of scanning documents that can’t be overlooked.
7. Another huge positive of document scanning for business is that the old record which couldn’t be easily read can also be scanned and then edited to enhance the colour of the ink and made easier to read and understand.
8. For businesses that use extra sensitive data and cannot afford to lose it, a digital filing system is always the better option. Digital filing of documents provides the benefit of having your files properly secured so that they cannot be misused.
9. When all the records of a company have been properly stored, their retrieval is easy as well. And as a result, when a particular piece of information is requested by a customer, for example, it can be easily retrieved and such activities lead to an improvement in customer service.
10. When files are digitalised and stored on a system, sharing them is easier as multiple colleagues can have access to the same record as and when required and this helps in reducing time and money that is spent in manually passing such records from one to another. You can also check some more information about how document scanning services is beneficial to business in detail.
Keeping properly indexed digitalised forms eventually leads to a better functioning company because organisation of documents is key. It facilitates a smoother working of the various departments. Scanning of documents, in general, has made our lives easier. Important papers thus scanned can be stored alphabetically or chronologically. They can also be classified into different folders like classified information and general information. It is similar to the actual filing system only on an electronic system.
Ray Kurzweil, the person who invented the scanner, might not have had so many advantages of a scanner in his mind when he invented it but we know how to make the best of what we’re given, and digitized office records have positively impacted companies in so many ways that it seems impossible to go back to the old ways!
If you want to leverage the potential of this great technology, associate with any of the best companies availing professional document scanning services. By this, you can stay systematized and facilitate more effective and smother running of your organization.
6/14/2019 08:35:47 am
I like the point you made about digital document scanning can be appreciated by Human resources, legal/litigation/ academicians/ insurance accounts, and records management teams. It's really easy when you can just send something over email instead of having to print and send documents to all these different departments. I also like that you mentioned that you can revamp old documents by scanning them and editing them to enhance color and ink to make it easier to understand.
5/18/2021 06:17:25 pm
You made a good point when you shared that it is great to utilize digital storage so everyone in the company can access the documents easily. In this way, it helps to streamline processes and get the work done more efficiently. I would like to think if a company needs to improve its operations, it should consider getting software that can help scan all the documents.
Leave a Reply.